Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of the "S" Word...(School!)


All week the kids have been moaning about school. Granted, they were in one of the country's greatest vacation spots EVER (OBX) so I cut them some slack. It became very apparent on Sunday night (after a 12 hour drive home on Saturday) that Devin was actually a little bit happy about going back (but continued to deny it with a sly little smile) and Julia grew increasingly more wary.


Julia is like me, massive control freak. If I know it, I'm on it, I own it, I'm the queen of the world. Unfamiliar territory...meh, not so much. So, she starts to panic a little, but quietly, in a control freak kind of way.


They were both up with the birds today and bursting with excitement. Devin even got dressed, took his allergy meds and BRUSHED HIS TEETH WITHOUT BEING TOLD. This might be a 5th grade miracle, people.


Julia, asserting her 3rd grade girl independence wore the exact opposite of anything I would have chosen for her. I stayed mum, I still wear socks that match, so what the hell do I know?


They allowed 2, count them 2 pictures on the front steps. Usually I'm allowed a few out-takes, but not this year! Devin ran ahead. Never got to wish him luck, have a good day, don't forget to write - NADA. A pack of girls swallowed him up in hugs and "HI DEVIN!!!" Neil and I shot each other a look and burst out laughing. Any predictions on when the first girl calls the house??


Julia, now one of the school's "big kids" gets to line up on the ramp for her first year in an upstairs classroom. Oh the joy, ohhhh, the trepidation... She told me not to come with her, then quickly changed her mind and pulled my hand, then dropped it and kissed us and took off. Turned around and never looked back. That's my girl!!


They were both bursting with stories about friends, new and old, teachers, new and old and both agreed it was a great first day. Oh, the relief!


So it begins. But really, shouldn't they both still be in kindergarten??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have that lunchbox... now... what can I say? The boy has great taste!And I'm glad to see someone was excited about the first day of school... I can not say the same. I wasn't nervously freaking out like I usually do... I was just lazy and didn't feel like ever working again! And though the first week makes me feel like the ringmaster of a big top, hopefully things will calm down and I won't groan ever time the alarm goes off!

Kristin said...

Great post! So delighted that their first day went well. Our first day was great too...back on August 19! Meredith and the two girls she spent all of her time with last year all got split up in different classes. BUT Meredith had made a new friend by the end of the first week and last week they swapped play dates. Sigh of relief there. Julianne has her best buds from kindergarten in her first grade class, so totally smooth sailing for her!

Mrs. Cook said...

I agree, great post! Love the control freak stuff. I too, have spawned a control freak, no idea where THAT came from.... Glad they are off to a good start!