Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of School



As the Staples add says, "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." The start of grades 3 and 1 are off with a bang. Both kids were very excited to get back to their friends. Devin literally bounced off the couch this morning when I told him it was time to go. He walked about 10 feet ahead of us the whole time and I think I heard a "'Bye" from him before he took off up the ramp, but it's hard to say. I got to see him a little later in the library when I volunteered. He left without saying goodbye. His teacher, a wonderfully cheerful man named Mr. Kriticos, caught my eye and said, "Wow, didn't even say good bye." I laughed and told him he was happy to have me there, but he certainly wasn't going to let any of his friends know that! It's official, the "little boy" is gone. But the big boy has proven to be a delightful replacement - so far.

Julia who was equally excited got a little nervous as she waited in line. I call this the "apprehensive" look. She rallied pretty quickly though and had a great day.

When I picked them both up I got the detailed blow by blow from Julia about who did what, that she had art, they wrote, they read books and if they collect 100 "coins" they get to have a pajama day!!

Devin was a little less forthcoming. "I get to switch desks a lot. Mine is the third one from the bookshelf." And there you have it.

Based on how tired they each are, and how dirty Devin's feet were when they got home, I'd say it was a highly successful first day. And no homework!!

1 comment:

Deb Hanna said...

Love the pic of the two kids on the front step, both looking and smiling- can't wait until that is no longer a miracle at this house. when did they get so big?

Deb