Friday, December 18, 2009

Brief (3 month) interruption...
















I was a somewhat dedicated blogger until a few months ago. I blame the lapse on 2 things: 1) Facebook and it's immediate access made Blogging seem like snail mail and 2) I decided to take a small trip/flight/fall down the basement stairs on Sept. 12th. So, I'll use this space for the purposes of a cautionary tale...if you've already taken your Ambien and are doing the zombie kitchen snack wander, when you spill almonds all over the floor, don't bother trying to get the broom and sweep them up, just leave it until morning. Otherwise, you could look like this.

The benefit of a few months has at least provided me with what the going rate is for a spill down the stairs. It rounds out at about $7,000 when you include the ambulance ride to the ER, labs, drugs, IV fluids and a big ol' CAT scan.

So, yes, I was night wandering after taking my Ambien (take it, then just go to bed!!) but on the flip side, I was so relaxed and out of it that it didn't really hurt and I don't really remember it all that well. Since it was the middle of the night (like 3 am) I yelled for Neil but couldn't wake him up. So I yelled for the second lightest sleeper in the house besides me - Devin. He came down right away and got Neil and woke him when I asked him to. Neil took one look at me and said, "Uh, I think I'm going to call 911."

When you call 911 in our town they don't waste time finding out exactly what is needed for trucks and personnel at the scene, they send one of everything (firetruck, ambulance, police cruiser, paramedics) which is great b/c they get here like asap. So, about 20 people flood into the livingroom strapping me to a backboard and neck collar. The first responder was a town police officer who we and the kids all know since he has kids in my kids class/school and he's also one of the officers with a canine, so they do a lot of the scout, Brownie meetings etc. I wasn't horrified until later to realize I was just wearing my nightie! He was also the one who stayed at the house with the kids until my sister got here. Got to love having your kids watched over by one of the town's finest! Doesn't get much safer than that!

I remember fighting to stay awake in the ambulance (Ambien finally kicking in and deciding to do what it's supposed to) and answering all their questions. I remember the tiny little room, the CAT scan and finding out I had no broken bones (miracle!!). I also remember them asking me over and over if I was in any pain and offering morphine. I kept saying no b/c it really didn't hurt at that point (shock, sleep, Ambien, my extra high threshold for pain?) so finally I agreed, just to make them go away! They kind of laughed and said, well, it's going to hurt later (for the record, they were right).


They released me in the morning and my sister and the kids came to pick us up. I headed right to bed and called my parents in Maine. I think Mom said something to the effect of "My poor baby, I'm coming right home!" I laugh, but now that I'm a mom, I get it and would have done and said the same thing.


I spent a couple days just in bed, feeling sore and taking pain meds. By Monday I was on Advil and would go downstairs with a spotter.

The worst part was being out in public. People look at you with this look of pity like someone is beating the crap out of you. We were all out to dinner one night and I was looking at Neil's whole posture and demeanor. He was apparently getting looks of the opposite nature! Poor guy! He was a very attentive nurse, reminding me once again, what a lucky girl I am.

I had several great nurses (in addition to the ones at the hospital). My sister Heather had the first watch until Mom got there. She took care of me, the kids, she was Florence Nightingale with better hair. My Mom, of course, came and took the next two days watch. She made us food and brought over her arsenal of movies to watch! And even the kids did a lot which was so neat. One of those great little moments when you get to see them be caring and nurturing because they've been cared for and nurtured. Even Max the cat stuck to me like glue, even more so than usual. He sat right by me like he was protecting me from further harm.


So, long story, but all I have to show for it now is a copay (thank you health insurance!!) and a little scar over my left eye. I kind of think it makes me look tough!

Photos from 9/12, 9/15, 9/17 and 9/30.

No comments: