Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blue Belt Mid Terms





































I seem to always get very gushy about my kids at karate graduation time, but they just continue to amaze me and it all sort of culminates when I watch them in the dojo. They had the very tough Master D again this time and he was definitely true to form. What's sort of amazing to see is how much the kids have upped their game. They did EVERYTHING they were supposed to. Clapped, paid attention, worked really hard on sit ups, push ups, near perfect jumping jack sets. They both shot their hands up to volunteer over and over again (and both were chosen to show their 2 kata). Are these the same kids I drag to karate with groans week after week??


This was all great, in of itself, but what made me most proud was how they reacted when someone in their class struggled through his 2 kata. He is a quiet, sweet kid, very big dude for his age. It is REALLY hard for him to even talk in class. He has been working hard on building his self confidence and decided to volunteer to show his 2 kata for the class. With all eyes on him he really struggled with his nerves. Everyone held their breath as they waited for him to remember his steps. I admit that it was really hard to watch him struggle so much.


At this point there were a few snickers from the class. I shot my head in that direction ready to give the VERY angry eyes at my kids if one of them were responsible for the laughter. But they were both glued to him with the same pleading expression in their eyes for their friend to succeed. I was very humbled at the compassion a 7 and a 9 year old could possess.

After fighting his way through a few steps Mr. O joined him and they did it together. It was such a huge thing for him to do what he did. And though it would have made our hearts sing to watch him execute it perfectly, it turned out to be a tremendous lesson for everyone in courage and tenacity. Master D totally called out the snickering and made it clear that this was NOT the kind of behavior that would ever be acceptable in there. He told stories about his successes and failures at tournaments and made everyone realize that even a 5th degree black belt has not always been great at this.



We celebrated with a big dinner out afterwards with Papa, Aunt Bet, Mima and Stipa. It was a great kick off to the weekend. I am so proud of these kids. Remind me of that the next time one of them talks back or forgets their homework, ok?

1 comment:

Deb Hanna said...

awwww, that is so great! well done.