Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My little Ice Capade











Julia was invited to a birthday party for a classmate this past weekend at the local skating rink. I thought how fun, but can she skate? I haven't been skating in a LONG time. I think I tried it again as an adult, fell, really hurt my bum and that ended my skating career. So, as a result, we've never taken the kids ice skating (Neil doesn't skate either). So, it was going to be interesting...
I have to admit that I had one of those over protective mom moments where I resisted bringing a helmet for her. I had visions of her being the only kid with the dorky mom that made her bring her helmet. But in the wake of Natasha Richardson's untimely death, traumatic brain injuries were definitely on my mind.
Well, half the kids there had helmets. And now I was panicked because she DIDN'T have one! But I quelled my anxiety and helped her lace her skates.
I thought one of the first big tests would be to see if she could even walk on these skates? No problem!

She got onto the ice and held onto the side for about 2 laps. Her friend "S" came along and, being much more comfortable on skates, took her hand and coaxed her away from the side. They did pretty well for a few laps. Then boom! Down she went and bumped her head. Ack! First thing I did was look at my watch. (I know, I know.) She was totally fine after a quick drink of water and a kiss. Bless her heart, she went right back out there.
I'm not sure this was the start of a life long love affair with ice skating, but it was a fun afternoon and definitely exposed her to something new. (Sorry about the poor photo quality. In my helmet or not to helmet tizzy I forgot my real camera, so these were taken with my phone.)

1 comment:

Bec Odell said...

Good for her! Emma took 6 week learn to skate thingy in kindergarten - not her thing. She was glad she gave it a try though. I haven't been since high school - not really my thing either. (And I'm with you, Kel, slightly paranoid about brain injuries now... Glad that wasn't in the news when Jack was a toddler. He konked his head every other day...)