Sunday, May 18, 2008

Another victim



So I don't grow things very well. I do not have a green thumb. I've killed cacti (not kidding). Last year for Mother's Day Devin gave me a plant and a pleading look that told me in no uncertain terms that it would crush him if I killed it.


No pressure.


So, I have actually managed to keep this plant alive for over a year now, and it's grown. I've now mastered the basic concepts of watering and sunlight. Now, this plant is a succulent, so it still lives on a fair amount of neglect, which is key in my ability to keep it alive.


So, I've gotten a bit bolder with my ever slowly greening thumb. There were some gorgeous hydrangeas at Whole Foods last week and I couldn't resist (my total favorite flowering plant ever). So, this one is a bit more challenging. I need to water it daily. But what's cool about it is that you get almost immediate gratification. If it droops, I water it and it's perked up in less than an hour. For those of you who are being overly judgemental about it's state of being in the photo above should know it perked up shortly after these were taken...


My goal is to plant it in the yard someday, just need to keep it alive long enough to do that...

2 comments:

Bec Odell said...

Ooo...hydrangeas are tough. They droop quickly without enough water. (You're right though, they perk up quickly too.) Also they will only flower blue if you maintain the right acidity level. I love all the gorgeous blue ones at the Cape. But I cannot get mine to flower anything but a purply-pink. And the first few years no flowers at all. Good luck with your greening thumb!

Deb Hanna said...

I planted pansies this year- to sell the house. normally I don't believe in annuals, but I have to say I am enjoying my beautiful pansies, might just have to plant some next year at my new house, if I ever sell this one...