Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Burned Out - Week 1


Ok, so we barely completed a week of school and I'm totally burned out. Julia has had roughly 2 hours of homework a night. My schedule has run something like this:


Get up

Take kids to school

Drink 1/2 cup coffee, put on de-od (sometimes, just for the cats)

Start working

Keep working

Get off conference calls, go pee

At 2:00 eat lunch, shower

Pick kids up

Do homework for next 2 hours (with the 2 most whiny frustrated kids EVER)

Bring kids to karate/trumpet lessons whatever day it is

Make dinner

Prep for next day

Get kids to bed

Repeat


I'm the grumpiest person alive right now, I can hardly stand myself. Oh, did I mention Neil's got a business trip to Chicago next week? Yeah.


On a brighter note, and purely because it makes me happy, I was "burning and dodging" last night and I think I've got it. Now, I need lots more practice, but I was so psyched that I could do it. Yipee!! I do have one version where Devin looks like a white eyes zombie, but at least I get the concept.

3 comments:

Deb Hanna said...

2 hours a night! wow that is crazy. This is the first year that Jessica really will have ANY homework. Our town's policy is that she will have around 10 minutes a night starting in the second grade. It gradually increases from there. I believe the two hours doesn't start until almost high school. I have to say that the overloading of homework would totally contribute to the "hating" of school for everyone.

Bec Odell said...

That is crazy! No wonder you're all burned out! Emma has about 30 min per night Mon - Thurs. And she is supposed to read for 30 min per night. Which she always does in bed, so I don't count that. Jack hasn't had any yet. He is supposed to get a packet with 3ish assignments on Mondays. He has until Friday to turn it in and the pacing is up to him. In our town I'm not sure there is a consistent policy - seems to vary teacher to teacher. We've never had homework loaders though...

Mrs. Cook said...

Oh no! Addie's been bringing home a math worksheet every night, but it's literally 10 minutes. Ever since they switched principals it's been better. Addie had 20 minutes per night in freakin kindergarten, it used to drive me bonkers. Hope it gets better soon, the first couple weeks is always rough to get back in the swing. Plus the weather is still nice, so we all still want to be outside.