Monday, September 15, 2008

Kayaking Through Kelly's/Neil's Eyes






My parents retired last year and, like all good baby boomers, adopted an "active" hobby to exercise their bodies and to try and prove they aren't aging (ahem). However it began - it morphed into enough of a hobby that they bought kayaks, a rack for their car and they do actually use them!


Not to be outdone by the "boomers" we gave it a go. I have to admit I understand the jones they get for it. I can't quite imagine doing it in rough waters, or trying to do that body flip move to right yourself when you capsize, but I liked the view, the push of the water and the arm workout.


They went easy on us and took us through the salt marshes near Wells Beach. A cool place. I'd definitely do it again, but next time I'd bring moleskin for my thumbs. (My blisters finally just regenerated new skin).


The trickiest part? The dismount. Sadly, we only captured the "after" of Mom falling in the water. The mud is so gooey there at the launch we almost lost several shoes in the exiting. My Aunt has some good ones of my Uncle becoming one with the ocean.


Perhaps those boomers should think about buying a new knee or two next Christmas?? :)

No comments: